People take all kinds of medicines for physical heartburn because of its pain and discomfort. But there is a spiritual “heart burn” that Jesus reserves for only those who long to know Him. And the burning heart that He gives sets our spiritual beings aflame with a holy passion for God.
Does your heart burn for the Lord?
When is the last time a scripture became so real to you that it burned a hole in your soul? That experience awaits you and me on a regular basis. It goes with the “new heart” promised in Ezekiel 36:26 and with being a new creation in Jesus. It is the heart of the Savior placed and protected within us by the Holy Spirit. However, there is a cost to God ever calling you or me “a man after my own heart.” We must develop such a hunger and thirst after only Him that there can be no substitutes. The Holy Spirit longs to consume us with:
- a burning heart (our scripture for today);
- a yearning heart (panting for him as a thirsty deer pants for water – Psalm 42:1-3);
- a learning heart (searching and studying His Word above all other pursuits – Matthew 11:27-30);
- a discerning heart (to know what really counts and to set our priorities accordingly – Philippians 1:9-11);
- and a turning heart (that is sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s conviction of any sin and a zealousness to turn from that sin in rapid repentance – Revelation 3:19).
Jesus is eager to give us all of His heart. Are we ready to give Him all of ours?!